Referrals in Shopify
If you set up Shopify Integration, the system automatically adds a small script to your Shopify website which drops a cookie on the viewers browser if they open a referral tracking link originating from the BrandChamp system.
The cookie contains the unique "referral code" from the BrandChamp who shared the link. If the link viewer then makes a purchase, the script ensures the unique referral code is added to the order in a special "brandchamp_ref" note, which you can see in your Shopify admin site:
That reference makes it's way into the BrandChamp system when your orders are synchronized, and that's how referral tracking link orders are detected.
Testing Shopify Referrals
If you wish to verify that Shopify Referrals are being detected correctly, use the following procedure:
- Copy the referral link for a test BrandChamp by going to the details page for that BrandChamp in the administration portal, clicking to the Referrals area, and clicking copy beside a referral link.
- Open that referral link in a new browser tab. This will drop the BrandChamp referral cookie into that session.
- Put through an actual order on the Shopify site (you can cancel it later)
- While viewing the order in Shopify, verify that the "brandchamp_ref" note has been added (see section above for screenshot). If not, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance
- Go back to the BrandChamp admin portal
- Go to the the "Referrals" section in the main navigation menu and check if the referral has shown up. Note: orders are synchronized approximately every 20 minutes, so it can take up to 30 minutes to see the order appear.
- Don't forget to cancel your test order ;)
If your test order has not shown up after an hour, please contact email@example.com for assistance