Using a custom domain for referral links
A custom link domain lets you create referral links which use a domain you own rather than the default http://bit.ly link shortener. Custom link domains are available on our Community plan and up.
When you add a custom link domain, each referral link will still be shortened but will now start with your chosen domain rather than http://bit.ly.
Choosing a Domain
The first thing you need to do is choose a domain.
IMPORTANT You need a spare domain. You cannot use a domain that's already in use for another purpose
You have 2 options:
- Subdomain: Use a subdomain on your existing company domain. For example "go.yourstore.com", where "go" is the subdomain part. You can use whatever subdomain you like as long as it is not already in use for anything else. Please check with your IT department. Other subdomain ideas: "link.yourstore.com", "share.yourstore.com"
- Dedicated domain: A domain for use solely for links. For example "mylinks.com". If you do not already own a dedicated domain for that, you will need to purchase one using a domain registrar such as GoDaddy / Namecheap etc.
Configuring DNS For Your Chosen Domain
Once you have chosen a domain, you must edit the DNS records for it before you can start using it for referral links.
If you are using a subdomain
For example "go.yourstore.com"
You will need to add a "CNAME" DNS record with:
- Host value equal to the subdomain you are using (For example "go", if your links will be using "go.yourstore.com")
- A value of "domains.brandchamp.io"
If you are using a root domain
For example "mylinks.com". Note: there is only one period (".") in a root domain
You will need to add 2 DNS records:
- Add an "A" record with an empty host value (or if not possible to leave blank, enter "@") and a value of 220.127.116.11
- Add a CNAME record with host of "www" and value "domains.brandchamp.io"
How do I add DNS records?
Each hosting provider is a little different, so you will need to consult their documentation.
Here are some links for common hosting providers:
Add Domain To Your BrandChamp Account
Once you have chosen your link domain and added DNS records, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the domain you wish to use, and we will add that to your account so that it's available when you create a Tracking Link Definition.
Create Tracking Link Definition with custom domain
Once your custom domain has been added to your account, it will be pre-selected when creating a new Tracking Link Definition inside a referral Activity Type: